Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good reviews for our first show






Well, we did it. We made it through our first show, and the fans seemed to love us. Friday morning we awoke early and got the car out of the trailer, where Marlene polished it up while I fueled it, checked the oil and tires. We talked over our planned routine, and then I suited up and Marlene strapped me in for the practice runs.

First thing, I started the engine. Its a complicated procedure, but this time it went OK. As soon as I had engine start, Marlene took off on her scooter to get to her position on the track. I did a couple of fire balls to make sure all was working, and then I drove onto the track. This track is banked at quite an angle, and has lots of ruts, cracks, and holes. Not a nice ride on a scooter, or in a jet car with no suspension.

I ran one lap of the course, then lined up at our predesignated point, and took the engine to 80%, popped the afterburners, and hung on for the ride! I only have a small straightaway to get up to speed, before I must brake hard to turn left. This car is not designed to turn. I made several more laps, trying out the routine a couple of times, using up about ten minutes, and all my fuel. Marlene towed me back to our pit area, (have to replace this scooter, need a quad to pull the car) and we prepped the car for another run, and then critiqued the routine we had designed.

At 1 pm we got all dressed up in our newly made embroidered jackets and hats, and dragged the car to the winners circle on the track. We waited for over an hour, but no media arrived. Guess the track should have offered free food and drinks. Then we would have seen some press people!

At around 2:30 pm racers began to arrive, and get their cars prepared. They had practice starting at 4:30, and going til about 7:30. Ben barked every time a car drove past our pit area, so he was barking himself hoarse, and jumping around like a mad dog. This was Marlene's first time up close and personal with stock car racing, and she was a bit overwhelmed and nervous.

Around 4 pm we saw a beautiful luxury motorhome go by, escorted by 6 white suburban SUV's. It was the Pallin/ McCain motorcade.

After practice ended, I fired up the BBQ and made some nice steaks that we had bought on discount from WalMart. Of course, we celebrated the Sabbath as we usually do, but said an extra prayer for success in our first show.

Saturday is race day! We were too nervous to eat breakfast, so after rising early we got to work getting the car ready to run. We were amused by the stunts of the radio control airplanes at the club next door, and we could hear announcements from the nearby fairgrounds where a horse event was taking place. We could also hear the action at the dragstrip down the road.

We lazed away the day, worrying about whether anyone would show up, and how we'd do. Marlene cooked a scrambled eggs and ham mix for brunch, we sat around watching the race cars practice and get ready.

At 4:30 I went to the mandatory driver's meeting, where I learned the rules at this track. I turned over our carefully designed script for the show, and our music track, to the announcer. I had already run through our requirements with the track operator, and left it up to them to set everything up. MISTAKE!

At 6pm Marlene dragged me in the car to the front straightaway, where all the cars were assembled and the drivers were available for autographs. There appeared to be between 200 and 300 people there. We gave away a lot of our fan cards, and I autographed many. At times I was surrounded by adoring 3 ft. high fans. Marlene wishes she had taken the camera, but we were so wound up with details we forgot. I got asked many stupid questions, mostly by the adults!

Following the autograph session, we hitched a tow ride from a track official, since Marlene's little scooter just couldn't make it up the banking to the exit lane. We now gave the final prep to the car, and we had been told we would be on at 7:20, but at about 6:50 the pit boss came and told us we were on in 5 minutes. PANIC... I quickly suited up, and Marlene started belting me into the car. Of course, we were rushing, in the dark, which slowed us down. Marlene then towed me to our pre-chosen start up spot, gave me the all clear to start my engine, and then she went to her position to give me signals. But then the car would not start. I worked at it for a couple of minutes, and it finally decided to fire up. I entered the track and signaled with my strobe lights that the announcer could start the music. I rolled forward, revved my engine to 80%, popped the afterburners, just like in practice. But this time I held on a little longer, and had a time getting slowed down for the first corner. Too much excitement, I guess.

I blew several good fireballs, and found out later that it set off all the car alarms in the parking area. I then made another lap of the track, stopping in front of the grandstand to blow my big fire. I could see camera flashes all over the stands. I made one more lap, for good measure, blowing some really good fireballs as I exited the track. This performance went well, and people came up to us to tell us how awesome it was, and how they jumped each time I fired the big burner. I waited at the track exit lane for Marlene, and she then towed me back to the pits where we immediately started the battery chargers and fueling the car for the next run, scheduled for 8:40 pm. I stayed in my firesuit, and luckily it was cool enough in the evening that I was not broiling in it.

Some boys came by, asking lots of questions, and full of knowledge about the track. Then the schedule went bad. A couple of accidents set everything back, and then the track operator told us he couldn't turn off the lights for our second show, because they would not be able to get them to come back on in time for the next race. Then, about 10 minutes later the pit boss came and told us that the schedule was changed, and we would now go on at the end of the night. So we ended up going on at 10 pm. We waited for the signal that the minivan I was to burn was in place and ready. I didn't want to start my engine, and then just sit there burning fuel while they prepared. They gave the signal, then turned off the lights. The lights were supposed to be left on until we were in position. Marlene had been given the all clear, but when she drove her scooter onto the track, she was met by a couple of exiting race cars, in the dark, with no headlights of course.

I started the engine, then rolled onto the top of the track to make a slow run around to the burn van in front of the stands. I couldn't see much with only the moonlight to guide me, but I spotted Marlene and about a dozen people milling around my burn van, which was not ready at all. It was placed in the wrong position (but couldn't change that now), and the rear wheels had still not been taken off. Here I am with my jet engine running, and they are standing around trying to figure out how get the wheels off and what to do. Luckily, Marlene was there to order them around in a voice that could even be heard over the sound of my 2000 horsepower military jet engine! Finally, they got it together, and I was in position, about 5 ft. from the rear of the van. I proceeded to blow the van to pieces with a huge explosion of fire and wind. Marlene now centered her attention on a truck that was blocking my exit, using her screetchy voice to good effect. Of course it belonged to the track owner. I was merrily burning away at the van, when Marlene signaled me to move forward. Unbeknown to me, pieces of the van were blowing towards me. I guess the gas cylinders that hold the rear hatch up had exploded, and they flew about 30 ft. Shortly after moving forward, I got the "wrap it up" signal from Marlene and pulled ahead, handed her my rear view mirror, and I took off for the pits. I drove the car through the pits this time, getting me a lot of dropped jaws from the other drivers putting their cars away.

It was over. All the planning, sleepless nights and burned up adrenaline had resulted in a first performance that the fans gave a thumbs up to. We retired to our trusty Georgie Boy, and Marlene whipped up a supper of smokies, onions and sauerkraut, along with a much needed beer. It was now about 11:00. The videographer for the track came by and I ordered a copy of his video of the entire nights racing. I am supposed to get it delivered tomorrow a.m., and hope to put our segment on our website, if I can figure out how to do it.

I had asked the track owner earlier in the evening about our fee, and he said he'd find me at the end of the program. After we finished eating, I went looking for him, and he said he'd be by with a cheque in about 15 minutes. We waited until midnight, then I went looking for him, and found out he had left for the night. I called his cell phone, and got voicemail. Marlene was getting pissed. He finally called back, and said one of his men would run over right away with a cheque, but when we saw them all leaving, Marlene asked me to run over and find out what was going on. I intercepted the operations manager as he was pulling out. He then remembered the cheque, and we were paid. Now we could relax, have a drink, and talk over the weekend. We were not ready to try and sleep til after 1:30, a record for Marlene!

This morning we rose early (believe it or not), and I reorganized the trailer and packed everything away. Marlene went looking for the flashlight she had lost the night before, and found it. I took Ben for a walk, and we looked at the remains of the burn van. I had to get Marlene, and go and take pictures. There is nothing left but the steel. All the interior, paint, tires are gone. There is nothing left but big pieces. The engine mounts burned away and the engine fell out. The gas tank blew off, and I found the exploded gas struts from the hatch. The tires were still smoldering. Have a look at the before and after pictures above.

We left the track, drove back to Tucson where we deposited our cheque, and made a quick shopping trip to Walmart. Now we are back at Desert Pueblo RV park until our departure on Friday. Next stop... El Paso, Texas. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment