We left our spot at the fairgrounds in Tucson reluctantly. We liked the place, liked the action, and liked the low price! From there we drove directly to Phoenix, to our usual parking spot at the Lone Butte casino. We stayed for a couple of nights, mainly so we could do some shopping at World Market (our favourite olives), and have some dim sum breakfast, which we have been missing for 5 months! Both missions accomplished, we packed up and drove northwest to Laughlin, Nevada.
The wind held off, but about half way there it returned, and we fought it all the way. We'd visited Laughlin for a few hours some years ago, and thought we'd stay for a few days and enjoy the cut-rate casinos and the river walk. We first pulled into the Harrah's oversize parking place, and used their sani-dump to empty our tanks and fill up with water ($10). We were going to park here, since the lot was almost empty, even though they charge $7 a day just for parking. Unfortunately, when I went to register I was told that I would have to unload the van, unhook the trailer in order to park. Couldn't understand that since the place was empty, and we would save them one whole parking space by doing so, but the fellow was rude, and I wasn't about to stay anywhere where I am not wanted, so we left.
Next stop was the Golden Nugget oversize lot. Again, mostly empty. Here we were supposed to register our arrival with security, but no payment required. I trekked to the casino, and announced our presence to the security desk, and was told that someone would come and see us the next day to register. Great!
Next morning a security guy arrived, and told us we'd have to unload the van, and unhook the trailer. Deja vu! I told him that we would save less than a parking spot by doing that, and he agreed and said: "look, don't say I told you this, but just stay as you are. No one will bother you until tomorrow, since I'm off tonight." So that's what we did.
We took Ben for a nice walk along the river. Later we went and visited most of the casinos (which weren't doing a lot of business). On returning to the rig at around 1:00 pm, we found another security guy hanging around. He told us to unhook and move the rig if we want to stay. I went through the same routine with him as with the guy in the morning, but he just shook his head and said: " I don't care. The rules say you have to unhook." Marlene and I were both pissed off now, so after a quick discussion we did a lightning pack-up and hit the road for Vegas. We won't stay where we aren't welcome! We'll also never go back to Laughlin... their loss because we were going to spend some money there.
The drive from Laughlin is uphill, 10 mile stretches of 7% climbs. For the first time in 3 years the motorhome engine got hot, and I had to turn off the A/C and stop for a while to cool down. We lumbered our way over the mountains, and down into the valley, finally spying the great view of Vegas that you get as you approach from this side. We pulled into the RV park at Arizona Charlies, and lined up to check in. I thought the crowded conditions were due to the NHRA race to take place here at the weekend, but it was just hundreds of Albertans, BC residents and the odd Saskatchewan rig all making their ways slowly home after a winter away.
Since we've been here we've done laundry (still a great deal at Arizona Charlies), had the $3.99 steak and eggs in the restaurant here, had several $1 draft beers, and listened to the band in the casino. Same band as a year ago, and no better! Last night we went to the Asian buffet and pigged out on 150 items of seafood and other Asian delights. I had two plates of just Sushi for starters!
Today we went to Lake Las Vegas to see how things are there. The golf courses and casino are closed, and most stores and restaurants are now empty. Still a beautiful copy of a Tuscan village, just sad that no one is there. Tonight we'll barbecue some burgers, and tomorrow we'll head to the strip for a little fun.
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment