On Sunday, we went to Eyeglasses World so I could have an eye exam done. The Optometrist, Dr. Jim, gave me a very comprehensive exam, and really took time to show me different options to improve my vision. Apparently, my distance vision has improved but my close-up vision has deteriorated. Dr. Jim decided that I need to strengthen my reading prescription, and I needed to do something about my mid-range vision. I told him that I had tried progressive glasses before, and could not adjust to them. He said that I should never have been prescribed progressives, since I had been using bi-focals for a long time, and adjusting to progressives is almost impossible. He suggested tri-focals, a cost effective alternative. He then proceeded to demonstrate the vision that I would experience with tri-focals. Wow, what a difference.
Prescription in hand, we went to check out frames. The store had a promotion on, two complete pairs of glasses for $99.95. Now, I know that usually these promotions have all kinds of fine print attached, so I carefully read all the in-store signage and brochures. I had already read the website info, and I knew that the promotion applied to basic plastic lenses, but not polycarbonate or ultra thin lenses. No problem, because I wanted basic plastic.
I sat down with a nice sales guy, Victor, and he made all the measurements, and inputted all the info into his computer. He looked at me and said: "The total is $262.00. How do you want to pay." I was shocked, and told him the total would be $99.95, as stated in all their materials. He said the promotion did not include multi-focal lenses. He read the signs and brochures I showed him, and agreed they did not mention any exclusions of multi-focal lenses, but his manager had told him only to included single vision lenses. I argued with him, to no avail. So I told him I would go elsewhere. He agreed to talk to his manager in the morning, and call me.
I was steaming! We got back to the motorhome, and I went online and sent a nasty email to Eyeglass World's headquarters, explaining the situation and threatening a complaint to the FTC. The next day I was surprised to get a call from Victor telling me that they had heard from head office, and that I was correct and they were wrong. Wow! He went on to tell me that they will honor the promotion price, and I could pick up both pairs of glasses at 5:00 if I still wanted them. I agreed. A couple of hours later I got a call from the headquarters of Eyeglass World, asking if my problem had been resolved, and apologizing for their failure to instruct the store manager appropriately. Wow again! I am pleased with my new glasses. The moral of this story: Do your research, and don't be afraid to complain.
Today we picked up the last of our supplies for our month in Mexico. We now have an electronic translator to help with the Spanish. Tomorrow we will have a subdued New Year's Eve, and get to bed early so we can leave for Mexico early on Friday morning. We plan to be in San Carlos for a month, and expect it will be a nice new adventure.
We are getting more calls about bookings for Armageddon, and we are hoping to firm up more dates while sitting on the beach in Mexico! Stay tuned....
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment